Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ost Village Review: Ost Cafe


I have started a few recent blog entries with a sentence about the beautiful weather, and always note how eager I am to take advantage of it. Unfortunately, this weekend felt like February all over again. That didn't stop me from getting down to Ost Cafe (which I hope means "East" in German) in the East Village last night. I had actually ran into Jason Schwartzman on my block the other day, and after a brief chat about coffee, he recommended I check out Ost Cafe. My day was off to a late start, but I was able to make it down in the evening and warm up in this cozy shop with a great cappuccino!

The first thing I noticed about Ost Cafe was comfortable and spacious it was. There is plenty of seating, including a counter, but it is not cluttered or cramped inside. The inside is modeled after two coffee shops in Slovakia, and the atmosphere is relaxing and welcoming. There is a certain sense of community inside that can't be found in every coffee shop, especially in a major urban environment like New York City. The baristas are also some of the friendliest I have encountered yet, and their sense of humor keeps the mood of the shop light-hearted and fun. Even though it is one of the better shops I've seen to sit down and relax in, they do not allow laptops after 7 p.m, which is important to note if you plan on being there late.

The menu is basic, however besides coffee, they also serve wine. With that wine, you can order meat and cheese plates. They brew Intelligentsia coffee, which they make sure is fresh and in season. All espresso drinks are made with two shots, which I see as only a good thing. I got a cappuccino, which as I mentioned in a previously blog, is normally not something I would get, but have been quite fond of lately. They also have small pastries, though I was there in the evening, so I'm sure most were sold out.

The small town, neighborhood feel is definitely what stands out about Ost Cafe. The drinks are certainly of high quality, and the baristas are exceptionally friendly and have a great sense of humor. The atmosphere is refreshing, and there is plenty of room and chairs if you would like to sit down inside for a while. Perfect to escape the sometimes chaotic, small coffee shops in the neighborhood.

Location: 12th Street and Avenue A
Directions: 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R, W to Union Square
Website: http://www.ostcafenyc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment